Rates - Vacant Property Discount Scheme
Are you the owner of a commercially rated property that is currently vacant?
Did you know that Sligo County Council has a Vacant Property Discount Scheme?
There are 3 Categories under which the Vacant Property Discount Scheme applies:
1. Up to €3,000 Annual Rate Demand
70% discount of annual rate demand amount on that property subject to Terms and Conditions - Payment of 30% required with application
2. €3,001 to €20,000 Annual Rate Demand
60% discount of annual rate demand amount on that property subject to Terms and Conditions - Payment of 40% required with application
3. Over €20,000 Annual Rate Demand
50% discount of annual rate demand amount on that property subject to Terms and Conditions - Payment of 50% required with application
How do I avail of the Vacant Property Discount Scheme assistance?
- Property must be vacant on the Date of Making of the Rate – 24th February 2022
- Documentary evidence must be provided as proof that the property is / was available for letting. e.g. Letting Agents letter, newspaper or online advertisements or other proof verifying that the premises has been advertised as vacant and for let for the full period of the vacancy claimed.
If the property is vacant for a period to allow for completion of repairs, the details of works carried out including the name of the contractor, receipts for works, certification from Contractor/Architect, planning permission reference etc. must be submitted with the application. The documentation should specify commencement and completion dates, or anticipated completion dates.
- Photographs of the property showing external and internal images must be provided as proof that the property is maintained to a level that would allow its use for commercial purposes.
- Completed Vacant Property Discount Scheme Forms to be returned by email or post to: Rates@sligococo.ie or Rates Department, Finance Section, Sligo County Council, County Hall, Riverside, Sligo, F91 Y763.
If a Vacant Property is sold the Commercial Rates for 2022 are due IN FULL
Failure to make a valid application, results in the rates liability falling due for the full year. Non-compliance could result in Legal Action.