Sligo County Council is inviting submissions for the new North West Homelessness Action Plan 2022-25, concerning counties Leitrim, Sligo and Donegal.
North West Homelessness Action Plan 2022-25
The current North West Regional Homelessness Action Plan expired in 2018 and an update is now required. In December 2021, Circular 44/2021 was issued to Local Authorities by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, providing guidance on the preparation of Homelessness Action Plans by all Regional Lead Authorities, supported by the Forums and Management Groups. Sligo County Council is lead authority for the North West, comprising Leitrim, Sligo and Donegal County Councils. The North West Joint Homelessness Forum and Management Groups are steering the development of the new Homelessness Action Plan.
In particular, the Department guidance calls for Regional Homelessness Action Plans to “reflect the policy positions and actions contained in Housing For All“, which was published in September 2021.
Amongst the pathways contained in Housing for All is the Pathway to Eradicating Homelessness, increasing Social Housing Delivery and Supporting Social Inclusion. This pathway is underpinned by a range of actions to address homelessness with an ultimate goal of working to end homelessness by 2030.
Regional Homelessness Action Plans provide an important opportunity for local authorities to work with the other relevant bodies in their areas and adjoining areas to develop a targeted plan to address homelessness in a holistic and inclusive manner. It is important that all relevant agencies share the responsibility for identifying the actions and importantly progressing them.
The new North West Homelessness Action Plan will cover the period 2022- 2025 and will be reviewed mid-term.
The North West Joint Homelessness Forum and Management Group invites stakeholders, statutory agencies and voluntary bodies to provide submissions which will be considered in the course of developing the new Action Plan. The timescale for the submissions is from 15th July until 12th August 2022 at 4pm.
The submissions may take into account the following information:
Housing For All Principles and Actions
- The Eradication of Homelessness by 2030
- Inter-Agency Co-operation is critical in addressing homelessness
- Support for rough sleepers and individuals with complex needs
- The provision of appropriate emergency accommodation
- Supporting the health needs of homeless people
- The need to prevent and address family, child and youth homelessness
Strategic Aims of the Homelessness Action Plan
- Prevention of Homelessness – by early intervention, advice and information, tenancy support, supported housing, targeted supports for vulnerable groups;
- Protecting Homeless People – suitable emergency accommodation for all, assessment and case management services, support for rough sleepers, supporting the health needs of homeless people, access to social and welfare services;
- Progression to long term housing – reducing obstacles to moving on from emergency accommodation, identify housing solutions, supported or transitional accommodation, care and supports in long term accommodation, incentives for landlords and housing providers.
- Governance – are management groups representative and functional, monitoring and procurement of services and funding.
From the unique perspective of your organisation or group, please detail ways in which the current housing and homeless services in this region are working well, need expansion, are not working well and need improvement to be able to meet the needs of individuals, families and the community. Are there gaps in provision, resource deficits or are there better models that could be used to improve the quality of services for homeless service users?
What are the current needs of homeless people, actions to address these needs and ways to resource and implement these actions?
Your submissions should be sent by 12th August at 4pm to:
BY EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR BY POST:
Mr Jim Molloy, Chair of NWJHF Management Group
Director of Services
Sligo County Council
Riverside, Sligo F91 Y763