Minutes of Special Meeting of Sligo County Council held on Monday, 24th September, 2018 At 9.00 am in The Council Chamber, County Hall, Riverside, Sligo
- Councillor Baker,
- Councillor Bree,
- Councillor Gormley,
- Councillor Keaney,
- Councillor Kilgannon,
- Councillor MacManus,
- Councillor Maguire,
- Councillor O’Grady.
- Cathaoirleach, Councillor M. Baker presided.
OFFICIALS IN ATTENDANCE:
- Mr. Ciarán Hayes, Chief Executive
- Mr. John Moran, Senior Executive Officer
- Mr. Kevin Colreavy, Meetings Administrator
- Ms. Jo-Anne McGonigle, Assistant Staff Officer.
Apologies were received from
- Councillor Casserly,
- Councillor Clarke,
- Councillor Healy,
- Councillor Henry,
- Councillor Lundy,
- Councillor MacSharry,
- Councillor Mulvey,
- Councillor O’Boyle,
- Councillor Queenan,
- Councillor Taylor
PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEES ADDRESS THE COUNCIL:
Further to the meeting held on 12th September, 2018 to facilitate presentations to the Council by prospective candidates for the Presidential election, the meeting agenda contained two nominations for consideration by the Members.
The Cathaoirleach advised the meeting the nominations submitted by Councillor Henry and Councillor Clarke had been formally withdrawn. Therefore, the only matter remaining on the Agenda was “Any other business”.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
Members raised the following matters under this heading:
- Councillor MacManus referred to the current format in place for those seeking a Presidential nomination. It was felt it was bringing the whole process into disrepute and it should be examined further.
- Councillor Keaney referred to his request at the 12th September Meeting in relation to the recording of proceedings (which contravened Standing Order no. 54). Despite the Members’ request, content and pictures had been circulated on social media. It was noted that signage had since been erected on the entrance door and in the public area of the Chamber.
- Councillor Kilgannon suggested that A.I.L.G. and L.A.M.A. could have a role in the nomination process and that the Council’s Procedures Committee should consider the matter.
- Councillor Maguire expressed her disappointment that neither proposer of the two resolutions was present at the meeting.
- Councillor Gormley extended good wishes to the candidates who will be contesting the Presidential election.
END OF MEETING:
The business of the meeting concluded at 9.15 a.m.
Meeting Date 24/09/2018