Over 65 per cent of the Sligo Water mains and Sewer Rehabilitation project is complete at this stage with all pipe- laying works on target for completion by March 2018, two months ahead of schedule. The works represent a €6.8 million investment by Irish Water in Sligo and will ensure an improved supply to all customers by reducing leakage and bursts. The project will also deliver financial savings over the medium and long term through reduced maintenance costs associated with the upgraded pipeline.
Sligo Water Mains and Sewer Rehabilitation Project
In general, it has been agreed with the contractors that no works will take place in the town centre area from 1st December until the New Year.
The Cathaoirleach of Sligo County Council Councillor Seamus Kilgannon said
‘This project represents a major investment in Sligo’s water and sewer infrastructure. It will greatly enhance the capacity of the local watermain and sewer network , and is hugely significant in terms of our ability to develop the town, both for existing businesses and potential new enterprise.’
The Cathaoirleach also welcomed the fact that that all works around the town centre area will cease in the lead up to Christmas.
Works planned for December 2017
Lower Quay Street/Quay Street-
- Pipelaying commenced 14th November on Lower Quay Street
- Agreed road closure on Lower Quay Street will be put in place next week with works programmed for substantial completion by end of November/early December.
- Pipelaying to follow on into Quay Street at end November/Early December and to continue to Christmas.
- Current plan is to maintain 2 way traffic on Quay Street (No road closure agreed). Pipelaying will be by slip-lining method (trenchless) with minimal excavation.
- Quay Street works will be scheduled so as not to disrupt programmed public event on Friday 1st December.
- Pipelaying programmed over period Mon 20th November to Friday 8th December from Markievicz Pharmacy to Connaughton Road junction. No road closure planned. (There will be temporary traffic lights and single lane traffic flows)
- Pipelaying to follow on into Holborn Street (Connaughton Road junction to Stephen Street) from 11th December to 23rd December which will involve road closure
Cemetery Road (Outlying area)
- Pipe-laying works planned over period 25th November to 23rd December
Apart from these works, there will be no other major pipelaying works ongoing in December. Some minor works, primarily boundary box placements on Connolly Street, Stephen Street, Union Street and Lower Quay Street, also miscellaneous tie-ins to watermains may be ongoing in December.