Traveller Accommodation Options
Sligo County Council provides and manages both standard and Traveller-specific accommodation. A five year programme for the provision of accommodation for Traveller families is in place which sets out the targets for various forms of accommodation such as the following:
- Standard accommodation in local authority houses
- Group Housing
- Serviced Halting Sites - where Traveller’s caravans/mobile homes can be accommodated on bays which have serviced units.
- Approved Housing Bodies.
Traveller Housing Supports
Sligo County Council provides a number of supports to Traveller Families applying for Social Housing Support or currently residing in the above-mentioned Housing options.
- Housing staff available to support with applications between the hours of 9:30-1:30.
- Traveller Liaison Officer available to aid applicants in the completion of application forms.
- An open door clinic is provided by the TLO every Thursday to assist applicants. The TLO is also available to meet applicants by appointment and by ad hoc presentation.
- Repairs can be reported by contacting 071-9111324 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For appointments or general information contact the Traveller Liaison Officer as below:
Traveller Liaison Officer,
Sligo County Council,
Phone: 071 911 1222
Traveller Accommodation Programme 1st July 2019 - 30th June 2024
The Housing (Traveller Accommodation) Act, 1998 requires Sligo County Council to prepare and adopt a 5-year Traveller Accommodation Programme, to meet the existing and projected accommodation needs of members of the Traveller Community within its administrative area.
Directions as to the preparation of the new Programme were issued on the 19th of July 2018, by the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government together Guidelines for the Preparation, Adoption and Implementation of Local Authority Traveller Accommodation Programmes.
In accordance with Section 10 of the 1998 Act, the Minister has directed that the next Traveller Accommodation Programme will be for a period from the 1st of July 2019 to the 30th of June 2024.
In accordance with Section 15 of the 1998 Act, the Traveller Accommodation Programme 1st July 2019 - 30th June 2024 was adopted by the members of Sligo County Council on 2nd September 2019.
This Programme sets out the actions that Sligo County Council will implement to meet the current and future accommodation needs of Traveller families within the County over the 5 Year period.