Quick Contact

Your Council
More Services

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

What is the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)?

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support. HAP will replace Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need.  

Am I eligible to apply?

Persons applying for HAP must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply.  Further information on applying for council housing.

How does it work?

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps).  The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme.  The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.

See the Tenant and Landlord documents below for more detailed information. 

Maximum Monthly Rent Cap Limits for County Sligo

Single SharedCouple SharedSingleCoupleCouple/One Parent Family 1 ChildCouple/One Parent Family 2 ChildrenCouple/One Parent Family 3+ Children
€220 €250 €460 €490 €550 €575 €600
HAP Information Booklet English - 2,141 kbs  PDF
HAP Information Booklet Gaeilge - 823 kbs  PDF
HAP Tenant Information English - 533 kbs  PDF
HAP Tenant Information Gaeilge - 514 kbs  PDF
HAP Landlord Information English - 542 kbs  PDF
HAP Landlord Information Gaeilge - 523 kbs  PDF