Quick Contact

Your Council
More Services

Homeless Services

If you’re homeless, rough sleeping or at risk of becoming homeless and your last permanent address for over one year is in the Sligo area you need to contact the Housing section in the Council’s office in person at County Hall Riverside Sligo or call us on Telephone: 071 9111111 from 9am to 1pm

Am I entitled to temporary accommodation?

To make this decision we review whether: 

  • You are homeless or likely to be homeless
  • If you have a priority need for temporary accommodation/access to housing
  • If you have a local connection with the Sligoarea – if you’re registered as homeless with any other local authorities.
  • While we consider your situation, temporary accommodation may be provided if you’ve nowhere else to stay. 

If I’m not from Sligo can I still use the service?

  • If you’re not from the Sligo area you must present yourself to the local authority area where you lived prior to becoming homeless.

Homeless and eligible for emergency accommodation

We will consider you homeless and eligible for emergency accommodation if you’ve nowhere to stay on the day you come into our Homeless Unit because: 

  • You’ve been staying somewhere but have no right to remain there
  • You’ve somewhere to stay but are at risk of harm if you remain there
  • You can’t pay for any accommodation yourself
  • We can’t provide permanent accommodation immediately, but if you’re considered homeless we may be able to arrange temporary accommodation for you until you find long-term accommodation. 

What do I need to bring with me?

  • You need identification, such as a birth certificate or passport. You also need proof of your income/social welfare payment such as a recent receipt from the Post Office.

I’m under 18, what do I do?

  • The Health Service Executive (HSE) will help you if you’re under 18 years. If you’re homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless go to your local Area Health Office and a social worker will help you. If that office is closed, for example it’s after 17.00, go to the local Garda Station and they’ll contact the on-duty social worker who’ll arrange emergency accommodation for you.
North West Regional Homelessness Action Plan 2013-2018 - 1,962 kbs  PDF
Adopted North West Regional Homelessness Framework Plan - 151 kbs  PDF