Maximum and Minimum Fees for Planning Applications
INFORMATION ON PLANNING FEES
Subject to certain exemptions, as set out in the (Planning and Development) Regulations, 2001, a fee shall be paid to a Planning Authority by an applicant in respect of a planning application.
The amount of the fee payable depends on the class of development proposed and the type of permission being sought.
There are 13 classes of development (see Scale of Fees for Planning Applications - see Appendix 1).
Application for Outline Permission:
The fee for an application for Outline Permission is three-quarters of the standard fee for the particular class of development - subject to the minimum fee requirement.
Application for Permission consequent on a grant of outline:
The fee for an application is one-quarter of the standard fee - again subject to the minimum fee requirement.
Application for Permission:
The fee for Permission is the amount indicated in the scale of fees for planning applications - see Appendix I.
Application for Permission to Retain a structure or continue a use:
The fee for this Permission is the amount indicated in the scale of fees which are current at the time of application for the particular class of development, increased by 3 times.
Refund of Fees:
A partial refund of fees may be payable in the case of certain repeat applications and where both applications relate to development of the same character or description and to the same site. An application for a refund must be made in writing to the Planning Authority and received by them within the period of 8 weeks, beginning on the date of the giving of the decision of the Planning Authority in respect of the 2nd application.
There is provision in the Planning Regulations for a reduced fee amounting to one-quarter of the standard fee subject to the mininum/maximum fee requirement, in respect of certain applications to include applications for approval, etc..
Exemptions from Fees:
Applications which in the opinion of the Planning Authority consists of development proposed to be carried out by
- a voluntary organisation for use as social, recreational, educational or religious purposes, or as a hostel, workshop or accommodation for persons with a disability; or,
- a body standing approved of, for the purposes of Section 6 of the Housing (miscellaneous provision) Act, 1992, for the accommodation of poor or homeless persons or persons who would otherwise be looking for accommodation provided by the Local Authority - (not to be used mainly for profit or gain).
- The maximum fee payable to a planning authority by an applicant in respect of an outline application shall be €28,500.
- The maximum fee payable to a planning authority by an applicant in respect of an application to which article 161 applies shall be €9,500.
- The maximum fee payable to a planning authority by an applicant in respect of an application for permission for retention of unauthorised development applies shall be €125,000.
- The maximum fee payable to a planning authority by an applicant in respect of any planning application other than an application mentioned in paragraph 1,2,or 3 shall be €38,000.
- The minimum fee payable to a planning authority by an applicant in respect of a planning application shall be €34.00 and in the any case where the planning authority make a refund in respect of a planning application, the refund shall not be such as to reduce the balance of the fee to less than €34.00.
View the list of Miscellaneous fees
View the Scale of Fees for Planning Applications
View the Licence Fees Under Section 254 Of The Act In Respect Of Specified Appliances, Aparatus And Structures
Planning Appeals Fees