Social Inclusion & Community Activation Programme
SICAP (Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme) is a national programme which aims to tackle poverty and social exclusion through local engagement and partnership between disadvantaged individuals, community organisations and public sector agencies, and will operate across the Republic of Ireland. SICAP is the successor programme to the Local and Community Development Programme (LCDP). The Department of Environment, Community and Local Government is the lead funding Department for SICAP. Pobal is providing technical and administrative support during the transition from LCDP to SICAP and during the set-up phase of the new programme. Local Community Development Committees will manage SICAP at a local level.
Sligo was allocated €439,136 in respect of this programme for April 2015- December 2015. A public procurement process was used to select Local Programme Implementers who tendered to deliver SICAP.
Sligo Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) awarded the contract for the delivery of the Social Inclusion and Community Activation programme (SICAP) for April to December 2015 to Sligo LEADER Partnership Company. Contract commenced on 1st April 2015.
The programme which will involve delivering on the following key goals;
- Empowering disadvantaged communities - supporting and resourcing disadvantaged communities and marginalised target groups to engage with relevant local and national stakeholders in identifying and addressing social exclusion and equality issues.
- Life Long Learning - supporting individuals and marginalised target groups experiencing educational disadvantage so they can participate fully, engage with and progress through life-long learning opportunities through the use of community development approaches.
- Employment - engaging with marginalised target groups/individuals and residents of disadvantaged communities who are unemployed to move them closer to the labour market and improve work readiness, and support them in accessing employment and self-employment and creating social enterprise opportunities
Sligo Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) has established a SICAP Monitoring Committee to work on behalf of and report to Sligo LCDC in overseeing the delivery of SICAP and monitoring implementation progress. The Monitoring Committee will also give feedback to the programme implementer on the delivery of the plan and work with them to agree new/emerging areas of opportunity or concern.
Primary Target Groups to be Engaged in SICAP
The individuals assisted should include the most vulnerable in society who are unable or unlikely to access mainstream supports. The following are the target groups to be engaged in SICAP services:
- Children and Families from Disadvantaged Areas
- Lone Parents
- New Communities (including Refugees/Asylum Seekers)
- People living in Disadvantaged Communities
- People with Disabilities
- The Unemployed (including those not on the Live Register)
- Young Unemployed People from Disadvantaged areas
For further information please contact;
Community and Economic Development Section,
E-mail address: email@example.com
Phone Number: 071 911 4431
The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) 2015 –2017 is funded by the Irish Government and co-funded by the European Social Fund and includes a special allocation under the Youth Employment Initiative